Finding this recipe was inspired by a most delicious scone I had at Teaism in DuPont Circle this week.
I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was also served with this delicious coconut spread that was also vegan. I decided after two trips there this week, that I should try to make it myself. Voila! I even found the coconut spread at Whole Foods!
makes 8 scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup (4 tbsp) cold earth balance
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup soy creamer
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1. Preheat your oven to 425º and lightly grease a 9″ round pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Using a fork, add in the earth balance and chop it up until crumbly.
3. Mix in the applesauce. Then stir in the creamer, lemon zest, lemon juice and ginger. You may want to use your hands.
4. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for 2 minutes or until smooth. Stretch the dough out into a circle and press it into the 9″ pan so that it covers the whole surface.
5. Cut the dough into 8 slices and separate the edges slightly so they are easier to cut later. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the tops just start to turn golden brown.
I baked mine for 25 minutes and didn’t bother cutting them into slices. In fact, the dough was pretty gooey so I just put it in the pie pan and spread it evenly with a spatula, then put that in the oven. I think it worked out well. I also took the liberty of putting some sugar in the raw on top of the scones before baking…a little added sweetness.